Archaeology of Oceania: Australia and the Pacific Islands
January 2006, Wiley-Blackwell
This is a Print-on-Demand title. It will be printed specifically to fill your order. Please allow an additional 15-20 days delivery time. The book is not returnable.
Other Available Formats: Paperback
List of Figures.
List of Tables.
Notes on Contributors.
1. Archaeology in Oceania: Themes and Issues. (Ian Lilley).
Part I: Australia.
2. Revisiting the Past: Changing Interpretations of Pleistocene Settlement Subsistence and Demography in Northern Australia. (Sue O’Connor and Peter Veth).
3. Archaeology and the Dreaming: Towards an Archaeology of Ontology. (Bruno David).
4. Blunt and to the Point: Changing Technological Strategies in Holocene Australia. (Peter Hiscock).
5. Rock Art and Social Identity: A Comparison of Holocene Graphic Systems in Arid and Fertile Environments. (Jo McDonald and Peter Veth).
6. Closing the Distance: Interpreting Cross-cultural Engagements through Indigenous Rock Art. (Anne Clarke and Ursula Frederick).
Part II: The Pacific.
7. Archaeology in Melanesia: A Case Study from the Western Province of the Solomon Islands. (Richard Walter and Peter Sheppard).
8. Envisaging Early Agriculture in the Highlands of New Guinea. (Tim Denham).
9. Late Pleistocene Complexities in the Bismarck Archipelago. (Matthew Leavesley).
10. Life Before Lapita: New Developments in Melanesia’s Long-term History. (Christina Pavlides).
11. The First Millennium BC in Remote Oceania: An Alternative Perspective on Lapita. (Jean-Christophe Galipaud).
12. Ethnoarchaeology in Polynesia. (Eric Conte).
13. The Formation of Hawaiian Territories: (Thegn Ladefoged and Michael Graves).
14. Ritual and Domestic Architecture, Sacred Places, and Images: Archaeology in the Marquesas Archipelago, French Polynesia. (Sidsel Millerstrom).
15. The Archaeology of the Conical Clan in Micronesia. (Paul Rainbird).
Part III: Politics.
16. What is Archaeology for in the Pacific? History and Politics in New Caledonia. (Christophe Sand, Jacques Bole and André Ouetcho).
17. Levuka, Fiji: A Case Study in Pacific Islands Heritage Management. (Anita Smith).
18. Last Words:.
A Few Words about Archaeology in French Polynesia. (Mickaelle-Hinanui Cauchois).
Shaking the Pillars. (Mark Dugay-Grist).
What is the Future of Our Past? Papua New Guineans and Cultural Heritage. (Herman Mandui).